IPB

ORIS Watch Forum - Friends of ORIS: Dlc Coating Vs Pvd Plating - ORIS Watch Forum - Friends of ORIS

Sign In »
New user? Register Now! Help

Page 1 of 1
  • Login to start a new topic
  • Login to reply to this topic

Dlc Coating Vs Pvd Plating Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Rico 

• New Friend
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

I am confused as to the material used on my My Oris Williams F1 Team Day date date. According to the Oris website in the general comments it says "With a 44mm chassis, new black DLC bodywork ...". In the Case section and in other areas it describes the material as Multi-piece stainless steel case, black PVD plated. I was under the impression the DLC coatings are harder than PVD and the process is slightly different. It is what it is, but I am just curious if we are talking about the same thing.

#2 User is offline   Cheese 

• Old Friend
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

PVD is a "method" of coating and DLC is a "type" of coating. DLC coatings are applied using the PVD method.

At least that's what I remember reading somewhere.

#3 User is offline   ArcherWatches 

• Family Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Owner - Archer Watches

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:45 AM

View PostCheese, on 24 August 2011 - 04:48 PM, said:

PVD is a "method" of coating and DLC is a "type" of coating. DLC coatings are applied using the PVD method.

At least that's what I remember reading somewhere.

Likely in this thread - discussed at some length what the processes are and the coatings.

http://www.friendsof...d-l-c-worth-it/

Cheers, Al

#4 User is offline   Zetetice 

• back from the brink
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:24 AM

View PostArcherWatches, on 25 August 2011 - 03:45 AM, said:

Likely in this thread - discussed at some length what the processes are and the coatings.

Starts with a picture of a watch and ends up with brain-consuming zombies... typical FOOF thread... ;)

To elaborate a bit on the "hardness" of DLC in layman terms.

Whenever DLC is "harder than something" depends on how you define hardness. The "units" DLC made of - amorphous carbon bits - are indeed "hard as diamond", but... there is a "but" of course ;) - the thickness of the coating is measured in micro/nanometers. This means that coating itself makes little to none contribution to "hardness" of the material watch user would perceive - such as say impact resistance. What I'm saying is, DLC will reduce friction coefficient and make abrasion against polished metal or rough cloth much less likely, however, if you impact the DLC coated surface on something, it is the hardness of the material under DLC layer that will determine the extent of damage - if the metal is soft it will ding, chip and take the coating with it.

Example - high-tec ceramics in bullet-proof vest and DLC coated steel plate. DLC might have similar hardness to ceramic measured on nanoscale, but take a plate of ceramics and DLC coated steel plate and fire AP round at it. It will bounce off ceramic insert and punch though the steel plate. Why? Because it's the bulk of the material that will determine the outcome, not the surface.
“There's an old Sysan saying that the soup of life is salty enough without adding tears to it.”

#5 User is offline   ArcherWatches 

• Family Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Owner - Archer Watches

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

Yes, if people would take into account the substrate material, and look at a DLC (or any other coating) as a system comprised of coating and substrate, rather than just the coating material there would be much more realistic expectations out there in watch land.

I would only buy a DLC'd watch if eventually you like the WABI look, or don't mind having it recoated every so often.

Cheers, Al

#6 User is offline   Rico 

• New Friend
  • PipPip

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for the comments. I am pretty clear now on the difference. Can't believe I missed that thread in July of this year.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • Login to start a new topic
  • Login to reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2011 Club Czar Pty Ltd. All rights reserved. | This website is an unofficial Oris Watch forum.
site by web design brisbane refresh